Making Working Out a Habit that Sticks



Just finished my leg workout. Very proud of myself. really pushed myself and did more then I thought I can. I always try to do a bit more then I think I can, so I can train myself in believing past my limitations and in spite of what thoughts come. Our thoughts, or to be more precise, our brains just want to keep us safe and comfortable, that's why more often then not we can't trust ourselves. We can't think that every thought that crosses our minds is true. If we do that, we literarily can go a bit crazy, or very crazy, feeling like different person every other day. Today motivated and healthy, tomorrow couch potato with no ambitions. 

Working out is one of my habits. Very heathy and great habit that I really enjoy. I have taught my mind to look forward to working out by tricking it into enjoying the struggle and the sweat that comes with it. I love how present I become when I work out. I follow my breath and focus on the muscle I am working out. In the past, what has held me back from looking forward to working out, was taking that physical pain of working out with me and turning it into emotional struggle. 

What do I mean by that? Before next work out I remembered how uncomfortable and painful some of the exercises were and how much I don't feel like doing them now. I chose to remember the discomfort and in my mind made it the main focus, therefore benefits I am getting from working out weren't in the forefront. Result? I am dreading the work out, not looking forward to it. Result? I am not working out on the consistent basis and I am waiting to feel motivated to do it, but waiting for motivation to do something is a fucking trap. Don't ever rely or wait for motivation to do something. Motivation and consistency, motivation and progress don't go hand in hand. So motivational videos, good for 10 minutes, not for long term results.


Now though, by learning to be more present and mindful, when the last reps get uncomfortable I push through with all I got, and when I'm done, I'm done. I don't think about that pain anymore. I leave it in the past. Now I am relaxing before my next set and I also don't allow my mind to go thinking about how the next set might be painful. I am just relaxing. When the next set comes then I will focus on my breath, focus on working out the muscle and do my best. And my best is often better then I think I can. 

I hope you know what I mean. At least for me, if I want to keep working out as a habit that lasts, I have to make my brain believe that it is good for me. I have to make my brain believe that I take pleasure from it. Because brain does't care about all the heath benefits of working out, it just seeks out pleasure, and if your only pleasure is eating cake than you are in trouble. 

So I gave you a frame of mind you can start to form. How you do it? By becoming present. by not allowing your mind to run the show but by taking control. By not crying about how difficult and uncomfortable working out is but honouring the struggle and your strength and commitment to do your best. That is all you can do. Show up and do your best. Yes, it won't always be the "Beast Mode" sessions, but showing up is already a big step.

What else? Start very small. If you are new to working out and you want to form it as a habit start really small. I really mean that. START REALLY SMALL. How small? So small that you can't say no. Before reaching for results you have to show yourself that you can stick to a schedule, and you are the type of person who likes to move. Start with walking, 5 to10 minutes. If you are more advanced then that and you already are going to the gym but not regularly, find a working out schedule that is easy at first.

For example, 3 times a week, light cardio 10 minutes and some body weight squats. Of course you have to find what works for your fitness level but to make yourself belief that you enjoy exercise you have to start enjoying it and not dreading it. The mistake many people make is that they get motivated and they start with "Beast Mode". What happens next? Burn out and back to the couch. We all want results, and we want them like yesterday. 

But if you can shift your focus from getting the results to creating a schedule and sticking to it, that will build your confidence and slowly you will be able to add more resistance to your exercise routine. To get result you have to show yourself that you are the type of person who likes exercise. You are the type of person that is committed to her/his goals. You want to look long term. You want exercise to be part of your lifestyle. I mean I don't know what you want but that is definitely what I want and I wish the same for you. It does not have to be this emotional struggle to do something you have to get what you want. You got to learn to enjoy the process because life is all about the process. 

Sweat smart,
Kris

Comments