Seasons Change, So Do You



Spring is coming. You can really feel that fresh breeze in the air. The next season is taking over the previous. I love that. I love that transition. You kind of get bored and tired from sameness. I know I do. I was excited for winter but now I'm done and I am ready for spring. Ready to take of the coat literally and also metaphorically, leave some of the old skin, my old self to the winter. New season, new me.

Everything in life changes. Seasons change, our age definitely changes and I believe that we do to. We, with our perceptions and beliefs. We, with our ideologies and dogmas. Maybe not all of us but I know I am changing constantly and I have mixed feeling about it. Because when I figure something out, something that seems like a truth, days later I am confronted with an opposing truth. I feel myself constantly adjusting.

And then I wonder "Does life work like that? Like seasons, one changes the other? One belief transforms into another." Many of us are scared to let go of our ideologies or even consider that they might not serve us anymore. We grew up believing into something and so we go on with our lives, believing in the same old beliefs. But which approach works the best? To be flexible, like water, as Bruce Lee said, or to be rigid and dogmatic?


I think if we look at it open-mindedly both approaches have some appeal to them. Let's look at the first one first, being flexible. What are the benefits of being flexible? Being flexible in and of it self already means that you are open minded. It means, that you are willing to listen to the other person and consider their point of view. It means, you are open to disregard your opinion and with ease say "Oh I though I was right, but now I see that there is a different way". You are not afraid of failure or looking stupid because you are open to learning. You are a student of Life. You are open to adjust, one of the most amazing human capabilities. It does not mean that you always have to agree with the other person but you see their point of view and you don't fight it. You don't judge because you know even if there are some universal truths everybody can reach them at their own speed, at their own time. People have to be willing to change, to open up.

The second choice would be being rigid. What are the benefits of that? I personally am not fan of this approach to life, I find it kind of aggressive and close minded but there could be some passion involved. You see, I am trying to stay open minded and see the good in this approach as well. People who very tightly hold on to their beliefs could be very passionate in talking about them. If they have researched that topic they strongly believe about, and they think that it is the ultimate truth then so be it. It could be interesting and educing to listen to that kind of person. I admire people who strongly believe in something but as long as they are not trying to convert me and as long as it is not hurting other people around. I mean one can strongly believe that killing people is good but fuck that, fuck that. And still if you dig deep enough you can find some truth and understanding to that. You don't have to agree but you can learn to understand. But again for that, you just got to be flexible.

I like when people share their knowledge but once they start pushing their "ultimate truth" as the only way to live I am not so keen about that. That kind of one sided conversation hold no more benefit for me. It stops being a learning experience and I am looking for the closest exit sign. I am not the one to argue and debate. I am the one to be open and interested in what you have to say. I am not the one to prove you right or wrong. I just take no joy in doing that. 

Which approach do you take in life? We probably use both approaches in different areas. In some areas you are more open minded and in some you are more defensive if somebody disagrees. Should we question our beliefs or should we hold tight on to them? Who is to say how you should live? It is up to us to decide what kind of life we want to live and what would support that. I like the diversity. I like how different we are. Every time somebody shares a completely different opinion I am excited to learn that somebody sees the world like that. Only thing they should check if that belief is helping them in becoming their best versions. That is all I care about. Feel good, do good, live a good life. Again, what is good, it is for you to decide.

Love,
Kris

Comments