Have a Direction In Life



Not too long ago I have started to set goals. I guess I have had them before because somehow I have got to where I am now, but they weren't as aware and as specific as they are now. Setting specific goals is important because it gives us direction. It gives our brains the direction. Why our brains need a direction? Because if you don't have your own, it will pick up somebody's else's and then you are in big trouble. Your life is not yours anymore. You are likely to start blaming others for your circumstances because your life is not the way you want it.

Of course it is not the way you wanted, if you have never taken a time to actually ask yourself "What do I want? Where am I going? Why is it important to me?" If you don't decide what is important and why, don't you worry. There is a sea of people who will be more then happy to "guide you". Why did I put the guidance in quotation marks? Because it is not true guidance. It is them choosing what fits their lifestyle the best and you are just being open to play that role. 


It is not a fun role to play because you are not being your true self. The life that you are living is not yours. And very likely you just won't be happy. That's why it is very crucial to get to know yourself. Your likes and dislikes. What makes your heart sing. You have to go out in the world and try different things because not all of us at age 5 know that we want to be and Olympic athlete and then, right from that day start working towards it. I always kind if envied those people, who so clearly know what they want because for me, having such clarity is an amazing thing to have. You just know what you have to do. Minimal confusion. Wow. I was one of those who tried some. Modelling, film making, acting, cooking, psychology and doing nothing. The last one is not as exciting as it sounds. I quickly realised that I am not made for doing nothing. 

Now having been tired few things, I don't see this as problem anymore. Before, I was feeling lost a lot of the time, trying to find that one thing I am destined for. Should there actually be just one thing? I don't know. But for long, that is exactly what I thought. I often asked myself "What is my purpose here? What should I do? What is that one thing? My talent. How can I serve?" But maybe, at least now I chose to think so, everything I did, was there for a reason. Everything I did, brought me to where I am now and just to brag a bit, I love where I am now. I think what made me feel lost wasn't those things I was doing but that I didn't have a clear sense of direction. I was just floating around. Wind blows, I follow. I was creating my life but kind of by default. 

Having a direction and knowing why you are going there is very liberating. Then, it is much easier to make every day choices because you have something to measure them up against. For example, my direction is to be a professional international coach. From there, what to do in a day becomes very clear to me. What kind of material to read, what to study and where to put my energy in. And suddenly my life feels like my responsibility. Suddenly I feel like my choices matter. I am still floating but with a purpose and that is a completely different feeling. This feeling gives me such inner peace. I still don't do just one thing but all the things a do now have the same direction and that is fricking amazing.

Comments